Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ok my check engine light came on other day went off didn't

Customer Question

ok my check engine light came on other day went off didn't come on for a day then went off again I got it tested code 41 came up what is problem just the o2 sensor or what and could this be casueing the problem when I step on gas it kinda jolts back when I lay off gas
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

What size engine are you working on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

3.0

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The most common cause for the code 41 to set is in most cases caused by a failing O2 sensor providing you have good fuel pressure and no engine vacuum leaks, before you consider replacing it take a look in and around the intake area to make sure there are no loose and or broken vacuum lines. If no vacuum leaks are found and you have good fuel pressure (32 to 45 PSI) then I would go ahead and replace the O2 sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how you check fuel pressure

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

To check the fuel pressure you would need to install a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail service port located on the injector rail and monitor the pressure with the engine running. If you are not feeling any loss of power its likely going to check okay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

were is sensor its easy to change right?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The sensor is located in the exhaust pipe a few inches down from where it connects to the exhaust manifold. Its not to bad to change as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

in most cases is that the issue. and does that cause what I was saying earlier jolt when let off gas and not to good execration

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

A bad O2 sensor will not usually cause any symptoms. The jolt your feeling is not likely related. One other thing you can check is to try cleaning the MAF (mass air flow sensor) located on the air filter housing with some MAF cleaner you can pick up at any parts store. If its dirty it can cause this type of jolt your describing.