Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

The driveshaft can turn by hand but the front driveshaft is

Customer Question

the driveshaft can turn by hand but the front driveshaft is not turning when you put it in 4wd but the light comes on saying it is engaged in 4wd?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Did you have this problem before trans rebuilt? What happens when you go from lo to hi? If this isn't related to the trans work meaning all connections are clean and tight, range sensor adjusted properly (this is critical) ck all this if no problem found get a scan tool and pull the codes from the gem module

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do not know it is not in trans I think.it's in ect to transfer case motor wires

No I don't think it's in trans either my thinking was maybe somethung left loose or misadjusted during removal, like say the trans range sensor if it isn't adjusted properly thr module want allow the shift

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Were is the trans scencer and how do I pull a code what color wire is hot at the electric motor on transfer case
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well what is your suggestion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been a technician over 42 years and I know vehicles. I was the only used car tech for 10 years at a dealership and this 4x4 has me stumped and I am trying to get a resolution. If all youy worked on was Fords you should have an idea of what is going on with this truck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing was left loose..I know what I am doing and the vacuum is fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am thinking it is electrical somewhere
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know the wires that kick the transfer case in gears if you don't know it there is no use in me paying for this

Give me a few minutes and sir in no way was 8 saying u didn't know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok

I'm on my way home when I get there we will fix this be about 30 min is a that okay

Okay sir you with me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok Im here now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on the computer so I can answer easily now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where does the power come from between the signal that lights the lights up in the dash to the transfer case to actuate the*****

First let me ask you do you have a scan tool

and will you do one thing for me? remove both battery cables and rub together so it drains the computer and then re hook them, the reason for this these codes cant be cleared with a computer, and some may have been set and if so operation would be ceased

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not have one that does transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is going outside to do this I am his wife and on the computer for him

Okay tell him the orange and yellow wires are the ones that run the motor and there polarity is reversed meaning hot can be ground depending on what the computer wants it to do

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will

He was asking about the wire from the switch to the transfer case, the switch is just like a blower fan switch, it just closes 3 different resistors, the switch sends that signal to the GEM module which then controls that motor I told you of plus a clutch that is just like an ac clutch

Tell him I have reviewed the wiring and operation and we are going to fix this now. is the weather good were yall are, its beautiful here in alabama

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its warm but raining but he put a hoodie on

Also he asked about the transmission range sensor, it is on the side of the transmission were the manual lever is this sensor has an adjustment and if it is out, operation will be prohibited

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it by the shifter on the left hand side of the transmission where all the wires are coming out?

Also there are 4 fuses that control this system one outside under the hood and 3 on the inside please check all of them

Yes maam that is where it is

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok...the transmission place set the switch up and he is checking all of the fuses

I take it tying the cables together didnt help?

I had asked him earlier was this problem here before the trans was done? Did the transmission shop remove and install the trans and transfer case?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he did not start the vehicle yet should he start it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He removed the transmission and American Transmission installed it he had a shop for over 30 years and they did all his transmission work and he never had a problem. He had just bought the truck and the guy said the 4x4 worked so that is what we know

Okay thank you yes tell him to give it a try

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are near Jacksonville FL so you know where we are
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok he is starting the truck

The transmission shop could not have verified sensor adjustment without the truck, but if it is cranking in neutral and park we should be okay have him try the shift in both park and neutral

Houston do we have engagement

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wait a minute the shop did have the truck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no engagement all fuses are good there is a 7.5 #11 fuse that shows no power

So they did the install? what is that fuse labeled

Would that be fuse 9

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it shifts in park and neutral and cranks in park and neutral everything works but front driveshaft does not turn

Fuse 26 27 9 inside and fuse 3 outside

Okay does he have a test light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is double checking he has a test light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is checking now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
those are all good

Okay you are going to have to help him here, I want you to operate the switch from 2 to 4 high and low with his test light let him check for power on brown yellow and orange wires, maam perhaps the man was not truthful about the four wheel drive working. These transfer cases have alot of internal issues, and the motor could be bad

Also let him disconnect the connector take his test light put the ground lead on either the orange or yellow and let you change switch, try it both ways

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does the vehicle have to be running or can he just turn the key on.

you can try but i would have it running

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the lights keep blinking off and on in the dash on the 4hi and 4low then they stay on a minute

without a scanner we are limited on what we can do,

That is an indication a shift was attempted and failed

The main thing I want you to check is the brown wire shift to 4 and see if power goes there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok Im going to sit in the truck with the computer...does he have to have the truck in drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does truck have to be in drive running to check the wires?

Yes just like its operation

4 high can be shifted in any gear but lo has to be in neutral

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only see a brown wire coming out of transfer case

Okay check it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has to get jumper wires

Jumper wires?

Put test light to ground and probe brown wire while you shift into 4

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is getting good grnd from the battery to his test light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is what he did he did not get anything so he is making sure he has a good grnd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no power at all to the brown when it is in 4wheel high or 4 wheel low
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there

yes

i am having a computer problem

okay if he wants to power up the brown wire with a jumper

lets see if it shifts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k is there a hotwire that he can put a circuit breaker or a fuse on to check the electric motor in the back and can he just take the 3 bolts and disconnect the motor off the transfer case and get another motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does the harness and everything stay plugged in?

Well we dont know if he needs a motor because we dont have power to it

Yes leave harness plugged in and run power to brown wire

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the big brown wire that goes into the back of the transfer case

yes

That brown wire energizes a clutch that engages the front driveshaft

The motor goes from high to low

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think we need to finish in the daylight and he will make up a special jumper..its very dark and raining here and we are outside in the driveway up on jackstands right now

Maam are you serious. I am just kidding

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
great information you are doing excellent

thats fine, we can do a phone call if you think it will help more,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are working in the dark in the rain with a flashlight and he is on a creeper back and forth under the truck. We have to fix it by tomorrow...we have the truck sold and cant do nothing with it,,,really and the bugs are biting too

Well go on in, have some coffee, ck the news, we will get this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have to wait until morning are you available in the morning

I have to go do some diagnosis at some other shops in the morning, but for yall ill make it, what time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
coffee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is 9am good for you?

is that est, if so we may have to make it 930

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my husband was the lead diagnostic tech for VW he used to get all the cars that were in arbitration lol they would send them home with him...back in 1987
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
930 is good it is est so you are on a different timezone 10 am is ok too what is good for you

He sounds like a good man, it was so cute picturing you out there helping him how long yall been married

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
33 years and my husband is just getting to know me...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have an 11 year old daughter....we are much younger than our age

That is awesome, yall are blessed. I look forward to us solving this.

Yall have an 11 year old daughter, whew yall are tough, I got all 3 of mine raised and my grandkids are

to much for me. I am in Montgomery, Alabama. I will be looking for you on here between 930 and 10

If he gets inpatient, the relay that runs that brown wire is under the dash to the right of the steering

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your assistance ...my husband said nobody got thru arbitration on him...he fixed them all. He had a car that when you turned it off you could not restart it for 17 minutes...17 minutes exactly...ha ha then you could start it....it ended up being a relay for an injector...one wire was not in the schematic...they accidently left it out of the book...lol

column in the relay box. ITs fuse is under the hood fuse 3 30a that brown wire energizes

a clutch which engages the front driveshaft

I dont doubt that for a minute. well this transfer case is as good as whooped

Im gone sign off i will talk to yall in the am, God Bless

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
talk to you tomorrow thanks again we have 4 kids grown and our baby and 6 grand kids and I was a mechanical engineer for the Navy I worked in Pascagoula ...at one time. You are doing good with all those kids too!! amazing you are blessed also.

Good morning, I am ready to go

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you able to help us yet? Just making sure you got your diagnostics done this morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi are you able to talk yet

I am ready

Have yall energized the brown wire yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what we have done is found out there is no power to the hotwire the violet wire from the shift motor that goes to the relay...there is no power to the harness that plugs in to the shift moter in the back of the transfer case...he jumped the big brown wire in the back of the transfer case and the driveshaft did not turn.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there?

Okay if he energized the brown wire and the transfer case did not make a clicking sound or engage the driveshaft we know without a doubt that the problem will be internal, And as far as there being power there want be power to the motor unless the gem module sends it back there, tell him its kinda like a power window motor

Remember in this transfer case the front driveshaft is engaged by a clutch much like n ac clutch on a compressor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he tried jumping power and nothing to transfer case...so you think the motor is bad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if he removes the transfer case what type of fluid does he need? Is there a way to check the transfer case its self when it is off?

Not the motor but the clutch inside, the motor could be faulty as well, he could remove it and just turn the shifter with a wrench to check the inside

The transfer case carries same fluid as transmission, and yes he can remove that motor and turn the shifter, I believe he has a clutch inside that isn't engaging

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can he take the electric motor off the back and can he engage it manually and make it shift?

Yes from low to high but not front driveshaft

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anything manual to make the front driveshaft turn other than that clutch?

The engagement of the front driveshaft is controlled by a clutch, I bet hes seen like on these new lawnmowers when you engage the blades an electric clutch does it, same thing here and the clutches fail

No I am sorry, other than removing the transfer case disassembling and welding the 2 pieces together

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he understands that but after he takes the electric motor off what wires can he throw a hot wire to to make the electric solenoid energize

If you are selling the truck a salvage yard transfer case may be your best route here, LKQ will set you up for about 300

It would be the brown wire and the case itself is its ground

In other words 12 volts on that brown wire gets the job done, as long as the clutch is good

It is important to note that when these clutches faill the short in them is detected by the gem module which will not energize wire

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the place put the transfer case back into the transmission he does not know if they put the splined shaft back into the transfer case...he wont know if the transmission place did that unless he takes the transfer case off...boy will he be upset if they did not do that...he gave it to them

You know maam it would not be the first time.

It is hard to get good work done these days. So from this point he is going to remove the transfer case, am I to assume that not even the rear driveshaft is turning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He realizes that...he appreciates everything and he will get back late today ...after he tears things apart
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can the hub that goes on the spline be put both directions? Or can it be put in the wrong direction?

Okay I will be checking in, I bet he can take the transfer case apart and fix it. If he needs any info I will be checking in. Have a great day until then. Its awesome here, I hear my bike calling m,e

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he wishes he could get on his he has a Harley road king

Okay now Im hating

I hope to have a Harley one day right now I have the imposter the Honda shadow, I love it. oh and the shaft I believe it is the same on both ends

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lo

Do we know anything yet