Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a 1997 ford ranger. It has a parasitic (key out) draw

Customer Question

I have a 1997 ford ranger. It has a parasitic (key out) draw of 0.24 amps (240mA). Removing the fuse which supplies part interior fuse panel stops the drain. However pulling out the fuses in the interior panel supplied by this fuse doesn't stop the drain. When the ammeter is applied between the neg terminal and ground cable it shows 0.73 amps and quickly drops to 0.24 or so. Can you help?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Less than 50mA.

Dropping from 0.73 to 0.24 is most likely a module going to sleep. I wouldn't worry about that one. When you first hook up the ammeter you are probably waking it up momentarily.

Now, about the 0.24 draw. Which fuses exactly are you talking about? Do you have the wiring diagrams?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Are you talking about the I/P Fuse Panal Maxi Fuse #13 in the engine compartment fuse/relay box?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If so, with that fuse back in, did you pull all of these fuses, 1,5,9,13,26,17,21,29 in the I/P fuse block?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If you did and there is still a draw on that I/P Fuse Panal Maxi Fuse #13 circuit, I believe then the short is in the wire itself from the underhood fuse block to the I/P fuse block. To be sure, hook the battery back up and place the ammeter instead in that I/P Fuse Panal Maxi Fuse #13 socket, once you remove that fuse and check the draw there with all of those I/P fuses I mentioned out.

Here are the 2 wiring diagrams,