Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 1998 ford f-250 and the four wheel drive light

Customer Question

I have a 1998 ford f-250 and the four wheel drive light stays on and it also started like it was trying to engage into four wheel drive by itself, could you tell me what might be the problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This fault here is usually caused by either a faulty 4wd switch (this is the switch that switches the 4wd into 4 high,4 low and 2wd) or an issue with the transfer case/4wd computer itself trying to engage the 4wd on its own.In some cases on models that use an electronic actuator to shift the transfer case in and out of 4wd this actuator can short out or fail internally causing this issue as well needing replaced.I have seen all of these cause this fault here with the 4wd/transfer case computer/control unit as the main cause usually.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a scan tool or dealers computer plugged into your vehicle that can communicate with all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair the cause of this issue here.Most shops or a dealer will have the tool to check the codes and in some cases places like Auto Zone can check the codes free of charge but usually wont be able to do the diagnosis for the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete