James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Have been having an issue with cold starts. About a month

Customer Question

Have been having an issue with cold starts. About a month ago 3/8 glow plugs and one injector was bad. I had all glow plugs and 1 injector replaced. Everything was great until yesterday. Yesterday here in Colorado was our first real cold day. We did not get any snow just the cold. It was about 15 degrees at its coldest. I did not plug my truck in, and it started up just fine no hiccups. I let it warm up for 90 seconds or so and about 3 or 4 mins into my trip to work it started running real ruff acted like and old hit and miss engine. I thought maybe the last time I fueled up they had not added any anti-gelling agents. I stopped and turned the truck off and let it go thru the warm up cycle and started the truck with the same results. I needed to get to work and limped it down the road. The truck snapped out of it for about 30 seconds and ran like it should and back to nothing.
the truck was running very sluggish could not get above 20 MPH and if I did it would shake bad.
I read at a forum I subscribe to that maybe the connection under the valve cover was loose. I was able to get the truck started again and pulled the passenger side 9 pin plug that leads to the wiring harness under the valve cover. The truck ran the same. I then tested the glow plugs thru the receptacle. The glow plugs tested at .8 ohms and the injectors read at 7 ohms. The error code that pulls from my tuner is “P1316-Inject. Circuit and/or IDM codes detected” and when I use my autoenginuity scanner it pulls a “P1293- Injector high side open – Bank 1” I did preform a buzz test on the injectors and they all buzzed some louder than others.
At this point I am lost and have no idea what to check or do. Please help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, all injectors were 7 ohms? Can you tell me where you tested them at please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thru the receptacle. GGIICIIGG checked each injector form I-C
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hmm that is correct. The reason I asked is the injector ohms should be 2.8 ohms or close too. That is why I'm curious. I would first replace the valve cover gasket as well as the under valve cover harness on bank 1. If you haven't done so already. If you used the valve cover gasket with the wires molded in, they seem to have a high failure rate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would the IDM have any thing to do with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does Buzzing the injectors do? whats the purpose for that test?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Correct. The IDM can be the cause but you want to be positive everything else near the valve covers is good. Buzzing the injectors just test each electrical circuit of the injectors. Buzzing all 8 injectors is good but the IDM could still be defective.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do i need to listen for while buzzing the injectors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
re-doing the buzz test i have 4 Hard and 4 soft buzzes. I unplugged the driver side 9 pin injector harness and got nothing.
I plugged back in and preformed test and again with 4 hard and 4 soft buzzes. I then unplugged the passenger side injector harness and still had 4 hard and 4 soft buzzes. Is this confirming the need to remove the passenger side valve cover and replace the harness?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Yes I would tear into the passenger side for the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will order one. Is one brand better than the other?
Dorman or motorcraft ? or others? By the sounds of it I should avoid the one that is molded in like this one from rock auto?
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1027383&jnid=683&jpid=0
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I will always use motorcraft or international parts for this engine. The Forman ones are usually molded.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.