rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a ford f250 2004 and the battery won't stay charged

Customer Question

I have a ford f250 2004 and the battery won't stay charged at all. If the battery has a full charge the truck runs fine however once you have driven it for a while it will just die when the battery goes dead. No one can figure out why? I have had it to several repair shops
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

See attachment for your cure, it works for me all the time to find battery drains. Also confirm that the alternator is working at high demands.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have put a new alternator on the truck.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

I understand, we just need to make sure that it's working right on a bench test first, then on the truck itself. If it passes a bench test, then we either have a wiring problem or computer problem with the truck. That's how we need to isolate the charging system. If all that is good, then you have a drain and need to follow the instructions I sent you. Thanks again and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link if you need more help with this later om.