James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

My van has both 2196 & 2198 Codes. During the day when

Customer Question

My van has both 2196 & 2198 Codes. During the day when driving and coming up to a stop sign, engine stalls as if it Vapor locked. Then starts back up with no problem. ????????
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, it sounds like you have a bad mass air flow sensor. I would replace the mass air flow sensor to correct this. When you replace it you want to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes in order to clear the check engine light and fuel trim tables.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even though the Codes are for Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 2 Sensor 1? It has never set a Mass Air Flow Sensor Code.Thanks, Keith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot rate until I see the results. Is it okay to Rate after the Fix/Non Fix?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Setting a mass air flow code doesn't happen a lot. A more inexpensive fix would be to try and clean it off first. If you get a can of CRC mass air flow cleaner you can clean the mass air flow and disconnect the battery. This should have the same results.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I recently just had a van with the same concern. The mass air flow got dirty from the air filter being so plugged up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
James, I changed the Mass Air Flow Sensor and disconnected the Battery for 30 minutes as suggested,Van still has the same two Codes (P2196 & P2198). Please advise further direction. Thanks, Keith
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

There is a vacuum hose on the driver side valve cover that is known to come loose. If this vacuum line fully seated.