Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

1996 ford ex splore dome light stayed on have to pull 30 amp

Customer Question

1996 ford ex splore dome light stayed on have to pull 30 amp fuse to drive And park
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

The dome lights stay on in your Explorer, is that right? And you have to remove the 30A fuse to make them go out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do not want info for gmc need for 1996 ford exsplore

I can help you with that, but I can't talk on the phone. My shop is much too loud for that.

The most common issue with these Explorers is the door ajar switch. There is one in each door, of course, but the LF door sees the most use and so this switch is the most common failure.

You can usually get them to unstick by spraying WD40 into the door latch mechanism, then slamming the door a few times to work the latch around. The switch is attached to the door latch in the door, and at worst, you'll have to replace it. Bear in mind, though, that you'll have to try to figure out which one it is if lubing the door latches doesn't work.

With the door closed and the key in the ignition, does the chime go off indicating that the key is in the ignition? Only the left front door switch will do this, if it doesn't chime, then it's one of the other door switches.