Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2004 ford taurus ses rough idle, minor jerking below 3500

Customer Question

2004 ford taurus ses rough idle, minor jerking below 3500 rpm, smooth above that. smell of exhaust fumes at warm start up. have changed ALL sensors and controls.
ALL gaskets new. Is it possible that the composit intake manifold is leaking through the substrate. Owned since 05, always maintained, 168.000 miles..........Brian Fabre, Shallowater (Lubbock) Texas
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I have seen where in some cases at cruising speeds or when the injectors are set to operate a certain pulse control if one or more of the injectors are partially restricted or are not atomizing properly this can cause a jerking feel like this here.I have had some luck having the injectors cleaned to correct this fault here as well.If you havent tried adding cleaner to the fuel tank I would do this at 1/4 tank of fuel and run to near empty and repeat if needed.If this does not correct the fault I would have the injectors tested to see if one or more need replaced.

If your check engine light has come on the first thing that needs done is to have the fault codes checked to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed and repaired to correct this here.If the codes have already been checked post the code info here as this will help.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
new injectors ordered. will follow up once they are installed, should be this weekend. thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.I would have the injectors tested first before replacing them to make sure they are the cause here needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete