Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

1999 ford f250 superduty 6.8 liter 5 spd 4x4 no codes,

Customer Question

1999 ford f250 superduty 6.8 liter 5 spd 4x4 no codes, sputtering after 2500 rpm acts similar to hitting rev limiter. At idle in neutral will accelerate 5000 rpm perfect. Things I have tried 0) fuel filter , air filter, sea foam 1) disconnected each coil pack at idle noticeable miss with each disconnected goes away once reconnected 2) disconnected exhaust before cat conv., no change 3) replaced fuel pump, no change. Also noticeable drop in mpg. Would love some help....
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

When it occurs does it seem to happen when lugging the engine like going up a hill in 5th (OD)?

Does it feel like the engine has the hiccups?

So far I believe one of the coils is weak and not providing a strong enough spark and under certain speeds, rpms, loads, elevation, air fuel mix, and temp that weak spark is not able to fully ignite all the fuel.

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You could say hiccups, it has gotten worse just since yesterday. It started out lugging on hills. Now any hard acceleration, and some times not so hard .

Do you have the ability to have a scan tool connected that can run a power balance test while it is occurring to see which cylinder is dropping out?

Can you monitor the fuel pressure while driving to see if the pressure is dropping when this occur?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, if I had those abilities, I wouldn't have needed help.

How do you feel I can help you beyond what I have already mentioned is likely to blame, so you would be pleased with me.