Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

Do you know diesel engines?

Customer Question

Do you know diesel engines?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 1989 Ford E350, 7.3 L Diesel ambulance. I use it for tailgating and take it out less than 20 times per year. After it sits for an extended period of time it will typically start right away. If I let it run for 15 minutes and then turn it off, it will not restart unless it sits for an extended period of time. Normally there is enough time between tailgating and the game for it to sit so that it will restart, but last Thursday it would not start again until I went back to get it the next morning. What is causing the engine not to start once it is warmed up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, the problem you have is a weak starter, the starter has to spin the engine over fast enough to turn the injection pump a minimum of 175rpm, when the starter gets worn it drags more as it gets hot, then it wont spin the engine fast enough. replace the starter with a rebuilt unit and your problems should be solved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter is only one year old.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the engine has a hard time restarting it seems as if it is having a really hard time turning the engine over.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

That is another sign the starter is bad, also you should have the batteries load tested to ake sure they are good.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Some rebuilt starters are not that good

Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The suggestions did not correct my problem. I had the starter tested and it is fine, the oil is not low. The same issue keeps occurring: When the vehicle is started it runs for a couple of seconds and then it stalls. then I have to wait for an hour or so, and even then it is very difficult to start.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

The only other thing that I have seen is the return line is being blocked off, this happens when the rubber hoses start to degrade and the rubber inside flakes off and blocks the line. The only suggestion I can come up with is to replace the return lines and try it. It may also be a worn injection pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked all of the return lines and replaced a portion of them, although none of them were anywhere close to being blocked.
I also checked the injection pump solenoid and it works everything.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

When it stalls have you checked the solenoid wire to see if it has power on it? It may be losing power for some reason.