A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Working on a 2000 F-150 and having a similar problem.

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Dr.carz replied 1 year ago.

Similar to what?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only getting heat when set to floor. Cool air blows through everything else. Replaced actuator motor already. Was going to do the door today but it doesn't appear to be the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wondering now if it's an electrical issue.
Expert:  Dr.carz replied 1 year ago.

Rather strange 2 separate systems different motors if you have heat in floor then sounds more like control head issue to me.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

If you set the AC to max and cool air comes from the vents, unplug the temperature blend door actuator and see if you still get heat from the floor vents.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the AC set to max I get warm out of the vents but the box where the actuator door is, is cold to the touch. With the actuator unpluged I get heat from the floor vents.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok, this is looking like a broken temperature blend door in the case. The best way to verify this is to remove the temperature blend door motor and where the shaft of the motor goes into the door, take a short wide screwdriver or we use a Torx socket and manually turn the door back and forth and listen for the door fully closing which will be a thump and the same for fully open. If you move the shaft and nothing, the door is broken.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to review what I've done previously I've already replaced the motor (a couple weeks ago). That didn't fix the problem so I was thinking broken blend door as well. I have a new door and cut into the box to replace it but it appears to be fine. With the motor removed it rotates just fine.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked your AC pressures?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not sure how to even do that.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

If the Freon charge is low, or over charged, you will have warm air from the vents. You will need an AC Manifold gauge set to do this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I be able to see the shaft on the motor turn with it removed and the electrical connected?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You should see the shaft turn with it removed but plugged in and change the temperature from hot to cold. DO it slowly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was never able to see the shaft turn. Is there just 2 positions for the blend door? All the way to one side of the box and all the way to the other? I can get plenty of heat out of the floor vents but still very little out of the panel or defrost vents. With it on max ac I still can't get much cool out of any vent but the box where the blend door is, is very cold. I'm pretty sure you could hang meat in there. I can't do any more on this today but will take another look tomorrow.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The blend door only travels a certain distance. Air is constantly flowing from the blower motor through the evaporator and then past the blend through the heater core.The blend door controls how much air flows through the heater core for the setting on the control panel. But the air is constantly flowing through the evaporator. So if the AC is functioning properly, and you set the temperature to cold, you should get cold air. And if you set the temperature to full heat, it should get hot, no matter if the AC is working properly or not.