Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

02 ford explore code 174,,,,,maf clean,, fuel persure good

Customer Question

02 ford explore code 174,,,,,maf clean,, fuel persure good 60 lots of clicking in top of engine,,,sometimes no power,,,then good,, what do you think
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, no pending code for bank one, only a lean code for bank 2? Is fuel pressure steady when it looses power? How many miles are on the engine? 4.0 SOHC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
149000
when I hit gas throttle it bogs ,,,pressure stays 60
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok what is the maf reading at idle, is it still setting the code when you clear it?Can you look at live sensor data?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I cant it bogs then it will reave up
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

I mean do you have a scan tool that you can look at live sensor data when the problem occurs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, since fuel pressure is steady a loss of power on accel can be due to a few different things. So need to be able to look at mass air flow sensor, just because its clean doesnt mean its not working properly. Exhaust backpressure issue/base engine vacuum leak.Also need to monitor fuel trims both long and short term to see if only the right side bank of the engine is affected. Being a 4.0 sohc engine if the engine jumps time it can cause odd drivability issues