Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1990 F350 7.3 non-turbo diesel that over a weekend

Customer Question

i have a 1990 F350 7.3 non-turbo diesel that over a weekend of not being cranked will crank and run for1 or 2 seconds and quit. sometimes I can crank until it picks up fuel and will run and crank for a long time. other times I will run the batteries down and still not crank. my mechanic has replaced the fuel injectors, fuel pump, injectors, batteries, starter, and it still does it. he does not want to put a electric fuel pump in the line, and I don`t know what else to do to it, it only has 150,000 on it and runs great, can you suggest anything?***@******.***
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

This is a common problem with the old IDI 7.3l, what is happening is the fuel is draining back into the tank from the pump due to a check valve not holding, the fix was to get a check valve from your local John deere dealer and install it in the line from the pump to the filter or else replace the fuel pump with a new part.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help?