Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My son owns a 2000 ford Focus SE model that is the Sony

Customer Question

my son owns a 2000 ford Focus SE model that is the Sony edition. The issue is that late this summer the blower fan quit working altogether. It does not work on any setting speed. It does not work on the A/C setting either. Here is what I have done
so far: 1. I replaced the blower resister 2. Replaced the fan speed switch in the dash. Neither part solved the problem. I know there is power to the blower switch that I replaced in the dash, because when the defroster is selected, and you turn up the switch
speed I see the A/C light turn on, which tells me the switch works. When I replaced the fan switch in the dash, the plastic switch connector block that plugs into the back of the switch showed the plastic housing partly melted. The interesting thing about
that though is that the inside of the housing of the switch, where the wire block plugs in was not melted. I wonder if whoever owned the car before my son had already replaced the switch once before indicating there was an issue before. Regardless I need to
figure out what is going on and why it isn't working. It is cold now here in Idaho and he needs heat and a defroster. I think I checked the correct fuse under the hood for the blower motor to see, maybe it checked the wrong fuse, or there is another fuse that
went out that would control something else that would not be supplying power, I don't know. What do you think?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** sounds like your blower motor has failed, that is the only thing that can really pull enough amps to start melting things. Have you checked for power/ground at blower motor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not checked that yet. Where do I check that at? Is there a block where the power and ground can be checked?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You will need to unplug the blower motor and use a testlight or multi meter to check power/ground. The green/orange wire should have power and black/red should have ground. If both are good replace blower motor, power comes from 30 amp fuse in location F64. Here are replacement instructions for blower motor. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/graode6hp8dj1bk/ffbmrr.pdf?dl=0

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok checked the ground and power, it's pulling power so I ordered a motor from my local ford dealer. Should be in in about 30 minutes to pick up. Someone had messed with this before because the ground wire is just wrapped together and not electrical taped back together. Looks like someone cut the ground then wrapped the wire back together.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like blower may have melted wiring before which is why it was cut so they could repair. Let me know how new blower motor works, thanks.