EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

My car only starts very very occassionally, the rest of the

Customer Question

Hello.. My car only starts very very occassionally, the rest of the time it just whirrs.. having spoken to some people I believe this may be a fault in the ring starter motor to ring gear connection, i have a ford fiesta 51 plate 2001.. what is your opinion and what do you think this should cost to fix?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. More than likely the teeth on the flywheel are worn out. To verify this the starter should be removed and the engine rotated to inspect the flywheel teeth. If that is indeed the problem then the transmission will have to be removed to replace the flywheel. This repair could cost around 500-700 dollars. Thanks.