Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I am having problems with my 2000 F350 diesel. it started

Customer Question

I am having problems with my 2000 F350 diesel. it started with the OD off light blinking and eventually burned up the PCM. After $3000.00 at the ford dealership, all they could identify is that if they unplugged certain accessories, (radar detector, interior lights and the rear window power) there were no more codes and it wouldn't do it. not a perfect solution, but OK until we had the truck wired for our horse trailer.... You guessed it! The guy at the wiring place suggested it might be the G E M. what do you think?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, are the windows and other accessories not working again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if we plug them in the issue reoccurs, just as, if we plug in the trailor, (or any other horse trailor) the issue reoccurs... within a mile or so of going down the road. If I then unplug the trailor it stops blinking. Likewise if we plug in one of the afore mentioned accessories...the OD off light will start blinking. if we then unplug it, the blinking will stop. we were told that the electronics are interfering with the PCM signal. but it was driven for years with these accessories without issue. the only thing that changed was that it sat for a year.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

When the overdrive light begins to blink have you tested for transmission codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Yes, do you have a way to test for transmission codes?