Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2002 ford f250 with the 7.3l diesel. I recently

Customer Question

I have a 2002 ford f250 with the 7.3l diesel. I recently installed a ts performance chip. On my pcm.And after i first tried all the different stages i didnt like how my transmission was shifting hard. So i contacted the manufacturer and he told me they could reprogram the chip for smoother shifting. So i removed the pcm and removed the chip. But when i went to reinstall the pcm i bent one of the pins on the pcm some how. So i took it back out and straightened the pin with pliers and all seemed fine. So i reinstalled it back in the truck. Only to find when i reattatched the battery cable i have no power to anything ignition horn lights. Cigarette lighter etc. So my question is if t the pcm is bad or not connecting properly due to the pin being messed up would that have anything to do with the lights and horn and all that? I susspect its the gem or bcm. But really not sure.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Check to make sure the power supply wire from the battery cable is connected and not broken, the PCM has no control over any of the interior features, that is all controlled by the GEM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can i check to see if the gem is good or not. ?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

There really are only two ways, one is to scan it with a scan tool and th eother is to replace it with a new one or known good part.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in other word bring it in to ford?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

That would be my first step in diagnosing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any ballpark what they might charge for diagnosing something like that? Also do you know where i can find a wiring diagram for that vehicle?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

most shop will charge a flat fee of one hour for a scan test, so what ever the door rate is. You should be able to find a wiring diagram by searching online, if not let me know and I will see what I can find for you.