camerontech
camerontech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

Lincoln navigator 2001. in hot weather have a slow leak in

Customer Question

Lincoln navigator 2001. in hot weather have a slow leak in the air ride suspension.
when cooler seems OK. is this a controller issue?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have replaced solenoid seals and checked compressor for leaks. all look OK
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

My name is ***** ***** I am a licenced diagnostic technician with over 20 years experience.

I will do my best to help you with your automotive problem. Please remember, I cannot see, hear or feel your vehicle which can make diagnosing very complicated and some vehicle require extensive diagnotics that require certain diagnostics computers that can not be done over a computer or phone.Please be patient as I am not online 24 hours a day, as I do work, but I do check my page every day.A positive rating is always appreciated for my time and knowledge to help you with your problem.

Regarding the leak in the sytem....

The system will need to be sprayed down with soapy water, thats how i find my leaks on these.

IF there are no leaks in the bags, than one of the valves in the motor/controller is seaping and failing. this unit will have to be replaced if no other leaks are found. just make sure the soapy water is extra concentrated so it will pick up even the most minor leak. I have spent hours looking for leaks in a few of these and never found any. It doesnt take much of a minor leak to start dropping as its a low volume system.

There are air system bypass kits available for these.

Before replacing anything on this system i would look into this and I would highly recommend replacing the airbag with springs as it is 1/2 the cost and very easy to do. it is a complete kit.

IT comes with springs, which go in without any special tools, just release the lower shock bolts and pry the bottoms in, and it comes with a bypass to keep the airsystem light off.

I dont even replace any components anymore as once this system starts failing,every component will follow.

so now i recommend to my customers the spring kit, and they are always more than happy as they find it rides nicer.

IF you need any more info id be happy to help

a positive rating is always appreciated!

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure I know any more now than before. airbags look Ok, as mentioned had solenoid seals replaced. compressor appears not to leak( very soapy water used). is there a method to pressurizes the system with a dye?

there is no leak test available for these systems,

just plain soapy water and patience. I have spent aan entire day searching for a leak and never found it.

that why i have stopped messing with these systems and just install springs now.

ii really recommend this is what you do.

If you want me to opt out and wait for another tech to see if he has a better way than no problem, but it will just be the same answer probably as ther eis no majic answer to finding leaks on these.

i wish there was a better easy answer but there isnt.

let me know !

cam

the leaks will not always be detected in the pump assemblys, this is probably your issue, but it is a pricey guess.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand your response. However all the shops are saying go to springs and the owners are saying, particularly for Navigators,that they do not drive well after. ie they sell them. You have at least given me idea.
will check it out, suggest you leave this open. If I find something useful...

i think the worst part of these is the lines are complete plastic lines. IF there was rubber sections, than you could let it fill, clamp of the lines and this would definatley reveal the leak. but clamping older plastic lines is not the best idea.

I hope you find it, let me know how you do!

cam

hi,

just wondering if you found your leak?

cam