Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Put a icm on 1994 ford escort ran good 15 miles and then

Customer Question

put a icm on 1994 ford escort ran good for about 15 miles and then went back to running bad?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
put a icm on 1994 ford escort ran good for about 15 miles and then went back to running bad?First put new timing belt on with water pump thought it jumped 1 tooth, belt was old 120000 miles no missing teeth . also I'm retired union heavy construction mechanic. I think maybe the brain (ENGINE CONTROL MODULE ) might be next to replace? thanks john
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello John, Eddie here and I will do all I can to help. First thing I would check is this, with a spark tester, and while it's running bad, take off one plug wire at a time and make sure you have spark to each individual spark plug. If you do NOT have spark to one of the plugs, then it could be the ECM, or an ignition coil pack, but if you have spark to every plug, then it may be an injector or compression is low, have you verified whether you have spark to each plug yet when it's running bad? Let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
each has good spark.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, have you checked compression by chance? If all cylinders have spark, then I would check compression next, if those are all 130 lbs are better, then I would ohm out all the injectors next. Check the injectors across the pins and see what they read, I believe those are supposed to read around 18ohms. See if they all read the same. if one is significantly different than another one, that would likely be the culprit. Check fuel pressure as well.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Also, take a spray bottle, with some soapy water, spray the coil pack and look for spark, lot of times they will run OK dry, but when they get damp, you'll see spark shoot out the side of it.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

or baking soda, makes the water conduct a little better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked compression cyl 1 = 150 cyl 2=135 cyl 3 =150 cyl 4 =20