Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Diagnostics said that the fuel to air ratio is off on my

Customer Question

Diagnostics said that the fuel to air ratio is off on my 2003 mustang thats why I have a service engine soon light on the dashboard..he told me to put in some fuel treatment to clean the fuel injectors but it hasn't worked. What could be other possible problems. Would the main air flow sensor have anything to do with it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

May I have the actual "p-code" associated with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Either p0171 or p0174
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Great, thanks! Ok-

There are a few different things that can cause this issue. First- check the Fuel Filter. Remove the filter and try to blow through it. Any resistance and the Fuel Filter will need to be replaced. If the fuel filter is ok, a fuel pressure reading should be taken to ensure the fuel pump is working at normal capacity. If these check ok, next move onto the air filter housing, duct and filter element. Inspect the duct for any cracks, holes or loose connections. Make sure the filter box is sealed tightly and correctly. Inspect the filter element and make sure it is not excessively dirty, restricting air flow. With the engine running, listen for any "sucking" or "hissing" noises. Inspect as many vacuum lines on the top and rear of the engine as you can see, looking for any cracks, holes or loose/missing connections. Make sure there are no leaks in the exhaust system. If these check ok, an intake air leak should be done to make sure there are no leaks. With the engine running, carefully and sparingly spray some throttle cleaner around the base of the intake. If the engine responds, this is a sign of a leak and the intake gasket will need to be replaced (make sure to visual inspect the manifold itself for any cracks at this time as well). If these all check ok, then the problem will lie in the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Inspect the electrical connector for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, then there IS a "cleaner" for the MAF sensor, however, in experience, it's usually not a 100% fix, and when it does work, it's usually not for long, and MAF replacement is usually necessary. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..