Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I'm and I installed a 300ci from a 1992 F150 with the

Customer Question

Hi I'm steve and I installed a 300ci from a 1992 F150 with the calibration code 3-51G-R10 into my 1989 Bronco with calibration code 8-51R-R00 two months after the installation I'm having acceleration issues and can't climb a hill and thats sayin something for a Bronco with a 300ci and a five speed. Any advice would save my bacon. Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

One thing you want to check is exhaust back pressure.I have seen restricted exhaust component like the catalytic converter clog up internally causing excess back pressure causing this issue here needing replaced.Your back pressure when tested with a back pressure tester shouldn't exceed 1.5 psi at any rpm range from idle to wide open throttle.If you exceed 1.5 psi this indicates a restriction in the exhaust system that needs located and repaired.In most cases it is a restricted catalytic converter that causes this or muffler.

If the exhaust is o.k. I would have the fuel system tested to see if this issue is due to a lack of fuel from a restricted fuel filter or weak fuel pump possibly.I have seen both cause this fault.In some cases I have seen a restricted pick up filter in the fuel tank cause this as well needing replaced.

These are the most common causes for this fault here that need checked into to see if the fault can be pinpointed and repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.