Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2008 F-250 4x4. Good Batts, turn key, hear the contactor

Customer Question

2008 F-250 4x4. Good Batts, turn key, hear the contactor pull in, no attempt by starter to crank?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is usually caused by a bad spot in the starter armature, and is easy to verify if you have a volt meter or test light, do you have either?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
volt meter
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, at the starter, there are 2 wires, a large wire and a small wire, we need to check for power at the small wire , when cranking, can you do this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep, it wont be until tomorrow until I get off work and back to where the truck is broke down.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I jumped the gun and put a new starter in, still no fire?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

did you check for power on the small wire when cranking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
didn't, but I would go to the next step and assume the new starter isn't bad, and it isn't getting juice
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

we cant assume, you said you can hear the contactor pull in, is this noise coming from the starter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
like under the dash on the inside, towards passenger side
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep, just put the volt meter to the small wire and some unpainted frame, no volts when the key is turned. Also listened closer, and now I don't think I hear the contactor I thought I heard the day before yesterday? I'm next to a busy road, hard to hear anyway
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Ok, are you at the vehicle now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, which motor do you have in this, and is it an auto trans or manual?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Diesel, auto with 4x4
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, first off, put the transmission in nuetral and see if it starts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no start, already did that a few times, thinking it might not know it's in park or neutral
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, in the fuse box under the hood by the battery, there is a starter relay, remove this relay, and on the bottom of the relay it will have numbers stamped next to each pin, we then need to check the socket the relay plugs into, pin 30 shpuld have power at all times, and pin 85 should have power when cranking, do they?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was just the opposite, 85 had power all the time, and 30 had power when cranking, was a bitch to get my fat hands in there! I'll pickup a starter relay and see what happens
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

did you check this with the relay removed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New starter relay, no start, but I do hear a clicking sound from what seems to be under the dash on the passenger side when I turn the key. Storm rolling in here in Saint Louis MO, so no more trouble shooting today.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

we need to check a few more things at the relay, let me know when you can get back on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope tomorrow, but it might be Friday, what's next?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, did you check the terminals of the socket with the relay out, or was it in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relay was out, I can't imagine getting on the terminals with meter leads and the relay in. I learned I had to keep the relay in next to the starter relay in, the control module relay I think. I pulled it to get to the starter relay and had anti theft light on dash.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, so the anti theft light is flashing on the dash????

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only when I removed it to pull the starter relay, it went right back in and is all good now
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, then when youhave time, you need to check the terminal 86 at the relay for a good ground , with the key on,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its been at Ford dealer for 3 days, they cant find it? Ford can jump the solenoid to start. I did find on google an exhaust temp sensor that fails without triggering any lights or faults? Sorry I gave up on ya when you wanted me to blindly get meter leads on a relay partially in, where no human can reach with the smallest hands or meter leads?