Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Can you put a1988 4wd unit on 1996 2wd f150

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Are you asking if you can convert it to 4wd or are you asking if you can just use the 4wd transmission as a direct replacement for the 2wd transmission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Convert in to 4wd

To convert it using the 98 is possible but you would need a non computer controlled transfer case to go with it or some way of controlling the transfer case.

Also you would need to swap over all of the front suspension and axle since the 2wd and 4wd use a different suspension system.

You would also need the rear drive shaft and rear end to get the driveshaft length right and the gearing correct.

Is it doable? Yes. Is it practical? No.

Youre better off finding a 4wd model on craigslist or something and selling the one you got. I see them frequently for 1000-1500 in decent shape running ok. You could probably recoupe the majority of the money out of the two trucks you would have to cut up to do this.