Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I recently purchased a used 2006 Ford Escape HEV 4x4 and am

Customer Question

I recently purchased a used 2006 Ford Escape HEV 4x4 and am having issues with JUST the driver door lock locking both via the the fobs and the driver and passenger door switches, but NOT unlocking by any method other than manually or by use of the key. I have ruled out the actuator, switches, linkages in the door, fob programming and even the door harness (all were checked using known good parts with the same result). Fobs were reprogrammed with no change All other doors lock and unlock as they should via all means. I have done several online searches and this seems to be a common issue specifically after the under-hood 12-volt battery was swapped. I checked the battery and it does seem to be new (likely replaced within the last 12 months as inferred from the manufacture date). I have already tried disconnecting the battery overnight, also with no change. My last best guess is the SJB but believe this might be a "loss of programming" for proper operation versus an actual electronic or mechanical failure due to the fact that under normal operation, the first press of the fob would unlock just the driver door and the subsequent press unlocking the rest suggesting the driver door is somehow under its own circuit (the same goes for using the key in the driver door...1 turn to unlock just the driver door and the subsequent unlocking the rest). I have the Ford Shop Manuals for this vehicle which don't give me any further information than to "repair the circuit". I am hoping some savvy Ford technician is familiar with not only this vehicle but this particular problem and can provide the solution as I have done all that I know to do to correct this issue. Please, before you provide an answer OR ask questions regarding this, read what I have provided and the troubleshooting I have already completed as well as the things that I have already tried to correct. Thanks in advance. James C
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The smart junction box houses a separate drivers door unlock relay that is separate from all other door lock relays and controls.What happens is this relay fail in the smart junction box and causes this issue here and the relay does not look like it is serviced separately which is common.The smart junction box itself usually needs replaced as a complete unit to correct this fault here.I suspect this is what needs done here due to the common failure of it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As I originally suspected and based on your suggestion, I found the SJB to be bad. Not only was the driver door lock affected by the defective SJB, but I also realized an issue with the reverse circuit (no reverse lights or sensors) which also originated with the SJB. I replaced it with another one from a similar junked vehicle and both problems were resolved. Thanks for your inmput.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

It sounds like the SJB is the cause here and you have located it as the fault here.If there is anything else I can help with on this let me know.The SJB can be common to fail needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete