Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

2000 Explorer with 5.0 won't start. Battery is charged and

Customer Question

2000 Explorer with 5.0 won't start. Battery is charged and terminal clean and tight. Engine won't turn over.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Do you get a single click or series of rapid clicks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
single
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The old fords had a solenoid on the fender wall that was typically the problem. I could not find one on this car. I understand their maybe two solenoids in the system but I am not sure where they are or if they are the problem.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

They use a relay now, if it's the relay making noise and not the starter then you should hear that single click in the fuse box under the hood. Otherwise, I think it's safe to say the truck needs a starter. The tapping trick doesn't always do the trick sorry to say. The single click though typically means the starter has failed. If it's clicking in the fuse and relay box under the hood and it's not the starter you hear clicking, let me know and we can do some testing.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!