Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2002 F250 starts up fine runs 10 minutes sputters

Customer Question

I have a 2002 F250 starts up fine runs 10 minutes sputters and dies. I start it back up same thing even dies if im pushing on the gas. Then after about 5 times of doing that I turn the key and nothing happens doesn't turn over or try to do anything. Then wait an hour to a couple hours and starts up again. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

can you tell me what engine size and fuel type this is please

also when was it last serviced and how many miles are on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.4 gasoline service oil every 3 months service 6 months
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injectors and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

if this is OK then it could be a probelm with the crank speed signal

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed the relay and fuse. But would the fuel related issue be part of the not turning over after five times
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no engine response to key turning smog thing sounds and thats it no turn over or anything for two hours
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

ok in that case

check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventingthe starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are onthen this usually means that its off

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.