James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I just replaced the turbo pedistool on my 2002 7.3 diesel,

Customer Question

I just replaced the turbo pedistool on my 2002 7.3 diesel, and now their is a rancid smelling white smoke comming into my cab, mainly through the defrost vents. What could be the problem?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Priority one question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind don't call just send a message
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, if you look around the engine and exhaust manifolds do you see any oil? Did you spray anything around the turbo to help loosen the bolts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There looks to be residue on the down pipe, i'm not sure whether or not it was there before. I did use a air hammer to get the clamp off the downpipes, but no sprays.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just took another look at my engine and i had wiped off all the residue on the down pipe last time I looked at it, and it's caked with it again. The thing is, the smoke is going right into the cab, when I lift the hood I see very little to no smoke, and it's allways against the firewall.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

It can be an exhaust leak was created. The y pipes on this engine are very thin and warp easily. Usually anytime the exhaust off the turbo is removed you want to replace the seals and pipes. If you are getting something on the exhaust it could be an oil leak under the turbo for some reason.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could there be bad orings that the turbo is sitting on
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

It is very possible. If you replaced the o rings but didn't lubricate them they split and break very easily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it was that wouldnt I be seeing more sputtered out oil and not so much a dusty black residue
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Correct. The dusty black residue is going to be an exhaust leak. The exhaust leak will really stink up the inside of a vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it would have something to do with the down pipes? Because they are almost brand new
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I don't know without being able to see it. Black soot is an exhaust leak and will cause bad odor in your vehicle. You will need to repair your exhaust leak in order to correct your concern.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello how are you?

I wanted to check in and see if you have any other questions?

Please rate my answer so I can receive my compensation for helping you.