Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 7.3L turbo diesel in a 2002 F250. It has not been

Customer Question

I have a 7.3L turbo diesel in a 2002 F250. It has not been started for about 3 years. One of the cylinders is bad. I want to try to start it and fix it. Besides new batteries is there anything special I need to do such as drain and flush the fuel.?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

If it hasn't been started for a long period of time, it would be an excellent ide to drain and flush the fuel system, and also put some fuel conditioner in the fuel system and also fill the filter housing with conditioner while changing the filter, it would also be a good idea to remove the small plug from the high pressure pump reservoir and fill it with engine oil, this plug is just beside the oil pressure sending unit. Then crank it over but stop every 20 or 30 seconds to let the starter cool down or it might over heat and burn out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. What about the glow plugs?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

The glowplugs should be fine, if they were working when it was parked there shouldn't be any problem with them.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help?