Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 2003 Taurus 3.0 V6 has an intermitent electrical problem.

Customer Question

My 2003 Taurus 3.0 V6 has an intermitent electrical problem. Car will lose all power while driving. Then 1 hour later will restart and drive ok. Not sure where to look. Thanks John
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean all electrical power or the engine will loose power and stall?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All electrical power & engine power
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Will the engine crank over after it shuts down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

We need to see if it is a charging system problem or a separate electrical concern. If you have a meter, start the engine and see what the voltage is at the battery with the engine running. It should be 13.5 volts. Then, when the vehicle stalls, check the voltage at the battery when it will not start and also check and see if the headlights and/or parking lights come on.

Please let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Electrical power comes back slowly and then will restart after it cools down
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK but not sure when it will die again. Only happens once in a while. Very dangerous to lose all power when driving !!
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

I completely understand. But there are no known causes for this concern. Although, you may want to inspect the ignition switch on the steering column. Also, check the battery cables and the charging system. If the alternator is overcharging, it can cause the same issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do check ignition switch.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Disconnect the electrical connector from the ignition switch and check it for burnt pins or brown spots in the connector and the switch.