EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a light on it looks like a gas can and cap or it

Customer Question

I have a light on it looks like a gas can and cap or it looks like a screw I can't tell its on the left side of a fusions 2006
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. That light indicates that there is a problem with the evaporative emissions system. If your vehicle has a fuel cap, you should first make sure that the fuel cap is on and is tight.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

If the fuel cap is on and tight then the vehicle will have to be serviced by a repair facility to find the source of the emissions problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the cap is on tight what can b the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can u show me the symbol
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

The problem is a leak in the vapor system. The engine will pull a vacuum on the fuel tank and reburn the fuel vapors. So this in turn means the fuel tank needs to be a sealed unit. There may be a line that has a split or break in it. There are some valves that need to close off the tank to the atmosphere and that may not be working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much would it cost me to have it fixed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and it's on the right side not left sorry about that
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I knew that anyway but thanks. The car will not pass emissions testing with that light on. Do you have any more questions on that indicator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do u mean about passing an emissions test and do u know of any good place or people robfix it and about how much it would cost
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

NOt sure the state you live in but usually every year or two you need to have a smog or emission test on your vehicle. Any dealer or independent shop can fix this. Usually a concern like that will cost about 200-500 dollars depending on what they find.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. DO you have any more questions for me on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you for your help though
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Thank you and please rate my service today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure will
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Have a great evening.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer and please rate the service provided. And feel free to ask any follow up questions.