Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Ran diagnostic on computer an nothing comes up.the car

Customer Question

Ran diagnostic on computer an nothing comes up.the car sputters when accelerating. It's a ford focus 2002 Zetec 16v 2.0
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Many times unless a misfire is happening steady for a set length of time will it actually set a trouble code for misfire so no codes set for mis is not that unusual

With this said? upon accel? this is when the ignition system is under highest demand and full voltages to the spark plugs so if a part is weak or failing? you will begin to notice upon accelerating

Secondary ignition is the primary cause meaning, plugs or plug wires are bad,One is arcing to ground, coil? it is possible but in the shop we begin with wires, This is most common, The spark plug wires do degrade over time and will cause exactly what you are experiencing,I lean most to plug wires, coil second, plugs lastly, I doubt fuel delivery like injectors, you would have a steady misfire all the time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put new spark plugs an wires. New fuel filter new air filter new pvc house.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

well, this was not mentioned so,, you could? have a carbon crack at the coil, again, I lean to ignition not fuel,coils are a sort of common fail item on this engine, we have replaced our share

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks