Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Ex time auto mechanic.was ASE certified Master years ago.Now

Customer Question

Hi.I'm Clarence, ex long time auto mechanic.was ASE certified Master years ago.Now wok on rental stuff.# ***** ago the starter quit on my 09 F150 5.4. had thje truck towed home and had to wait for enough daylight to change it. (what a bear!)When reconnecting the battery cables I cleaned light corrodion with water and baking soda,while rinsing the battery,I rinsed the engine and windshield.No high pressure.I reset the clock and radio presets and drove to Sonic to get a coke.When I pulled under the awning the auto lights came on.When I turned off the engine the tach stayed on 800. I turned the key back to on and it dropped to 0.then all dash functions stopped working. radio still plays,no display,gauges inop.,including speedo and tach.Can you give me some help on this? Also, when I turn the key to "on",a red icon that looks like a padlock comed on momentarily,I"ve never seen this before. i
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Is there a picture of 2 small children inside that lock symbol?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Or is it the one showing a lock next to 1/2 of a car?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

The first is a about child safety doors.

the second is about the anti-theft system.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Is this a fx4, xlt, lariat, etc?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

There are all probably the same but here are 2 wiring diagrams for the instrument cluster of the xlt, check the fuses for voltage on both sides and the grounds, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the icon shows 1/2 car,the truck isa 2wd xlt.I have the wiring diagrams,but it is dark now.I'll check things out in the morning.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike, the diagrams referenced a smart junction box that I don't know about,my truck has a large box on the radiator core support and one behind the rt kick panel.fuse #26 in the kick panel box was badand replacing it brought the .however the gauges on,however the radio/cd player/SYNC display doesn't work even thoughit all works.in my owners manual fuse 26 powers this display. Is there a security code to restore this? Thanks for your help, Clarence
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand what you are saying. Read what you just said back to yourself. Does it make sense to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see what you mean.I should have reread it.Basically,fuse #26 in the box behind the rt kick panel made the gauges work ,but not the display on the radio although my owners manual says that fuse powers that display also.All functions of the radio operate.I've heard some radios have a security code that has to be entered after the battery has been disconnected.I didn't know if that is my problem now or what I need to look for.I know it is late and the truck is driveable,so I don't need an answer tonight. Thanks , Clarence
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

The radio should still illuminate and tell you if it's locked. If not, maybe it was a short circuit in that branch of that fuse's circuit that caused the fuse to blow in the first place.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Check for voltage at the radio pin 12 where the yellow/red wire attaches. It should be hot all the time.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.