Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I'm having a weird issue. 2000 focus 2.0 dohc 5 spd. The

Customer Question

I'm having a weird issue. 2000 focus 2.0 dohc 5 spd. The starter won't engage at first so I push start it, after a few mins of driving it will start. I tried testing when it won't start, I get power front the battery and power at the signal when the key is at the start position, I hear the relay but switched it just in case with no luck.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

So the starter is getting battery power and signal power when trying to start. This indicates the solenoid on the starter is faulty. The vibrations and heat while driving are allowing it to work later on. This fix is just to replace the starter motor.

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that this issue was there before I replaced the starter, the old one wasn't working properly when I bench tested it so I thought my problem was solved but then it wouldn't start again which is why I began testing

So you now have a new Ford stater and it is doing the same thing, not making a sound at all but getting both powers. Did you jsut check for power or confirm it is getting battery voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did confirm the powers and ground, it did the same thing before I replaced it So I'm pretty Much back at one

All the starter needs is battery power, signal power from the relay and the ground through its mount. Looks like you need to warranty out this starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was the alternator, I was on my way back to the shop and the car stalled so I checked the alternator. It was cooked so I replaced it and problem solved.

Than ks for telling me. I have never heard of a starter getting battery voltage and the alternator being to blame. Your meter may be bad, the alternator being bad would of meant the battery volts were down and the starter not getting enough volts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't explain it. My multimeter and power probe both gave me the same results. I've never come across something like this in my 10 yrs of service, it's definitely one for the books. Thanks for the help though it is appreciated.

Your welcome, you can use your deposit on another question this month since there was no rating on this post.