Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

2000 7.3L Low Power complaint. ICP replaced Oil in sensor,

Customer Question

2000 7.3L Low Power complaint. ICP replaced Oil in sensor, EBP sensor and line replaced line had a rusted hole. I have AE Program and have pressure tested fuel system. Fuel pressure holds 50+ PSI pulling hill WOT. 60PSI at idle. New fuel filter Fresh Oil Change & Filter
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

you should have the fuel suction checked, these trucks have a set of small screen in the fuel pickup, they become clogged over time and restrict the fuel flow. One way to check this is to remove the fuel suction line from the inframe pump, then remove the fuel filler cap and gently blow back through the suction line into the tank, this clears the filters enough to road test and notice a difference, if there is an improvement then you need to remove the tank and clean out or replace the filters.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that. Wouldn't the restriction in the pickup result in low fuel pressure though? I have a sending unit gasket on order so I will pull the sending unit and take a look. I also understand there is a coating inside the metal tanks that comes off and plugs the in tank filters on some trucks. This is a chassis cab and has the rear metal fuel tank. If the coating is peeling off what can be done to remove the rest of it?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

The pressure in theory should fall low but doesn't seem to. The fuel tanks are galvanized tin, but will rust and the rust particles will plug the screens also if you use a biofuel which has ethanol in it the ethanol will eat the galvanized coat off the inside of the tank.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the filters in the tank there was black gunk which I cleaned. Filters were only 40-50% plugged. It might be a little better but power is still down.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

How many miles are on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
130K engine is in good shape. Oil and filters have been changed regularly. Does not use oil. I purchased this truck with 12k on it in 2000. I have been the only driver. I have also checked the turbo. Spins free like it should. No mechanical damage on turbo wheel. I am beginning to suspect the issues is around the CPS. Ever since the Grey CPS was installed by a dealer (While the truck was in for a clutch install) it has not been the same. I did not want the CPS changed but they insisted it had to be done as a safety recall. I understand the issues around the Black CPS but I suspect my truck will never be right until I find a black CPS to put in it based on what I read. I'll accept the risk of failure of the Black CPS for a truck that runs right. Thoughts? I have an older 6.9L F350 non-turbo and the 2000 feels like a non-turbo engine to me so I have a pretty good point of reference.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

You may have a partially plugged exhaust, I check this by undoing the connection at the end of the down pipe and then taking it for a drive, you could also check the exhaust back pressure on the EBP reading with a scan tool, the reading should never go above 35 to 36 psi with the truck in park and the engine revved up to governed speed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I have a scan tool. Governed Speed = 3600 RPM no load? Basically hold the pedal to the floor correct?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is correct.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help?