Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Tes. my battery warning light came on, then I lost power

Customer Question

Tes. my battery warning light came on , then I lost power steering and lights. Is it the battery or alternator?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The battery light is controlled by the regulator in the alternator and in most cases if the battery light comes on it usually means the alternator has failed. Because you say you lost the power steering start first with making sure the drive belt is in place. If the belt looks to be okay then have the battery charged so it will start and run than then have the charging system tested. Most auto parts store will perform this test for you at no charge as well.