HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

1998 ford ranger 4.0 idles fine. But has no power and shakes

Customer Question

1998 ford ranger 4.0 idles fine. But has no power and shakes when in gear. Can't go above 35mph
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** it act like you have a rpm limiter such as not want to go above 2000-3000 rpm? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the rpms will go up like normal. But when it's in gear it's definitely take alot to get the rpms up
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does transmission seem to be stuck in 1st gear? Is check engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it goes through all the gears but it seems to slam into the gears hard and it seems to shift through them to fast. And there is no light on as of right now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that I just put this motor in the truck. The previous motor was blown
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I'm going to open question back up. Problem definitely seems transmission related but I cannot say specifically what. Someone else will reply when they can help, thanks.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

hello, let me see if I can be of some help. Even though the check engine light isnt on, have you run a diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool? Since the motor was just replaced there may be an issue with one of the electronic control systems that can set a fault but not turn the warning light on or at least yet. Did you try dropping the exhaust system to see if the exhaust has a restricted catalytic convertor since the last engine failed? You didnt mention what type of blown engine failure, overheated,threw a rod bearing,etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just replaced the exhaust system. And the only code that was on was for an o2 sensor but I replaced that. And the previous motor had no compression on cylinder 3 and only 20 psi on cylinder 5
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok so you have new catalytic convertors and a lack ofpower on acceleration, is the fuel pressure low when the concern occurs. No other codes now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no catalytic converters on the truck. The fuel pressure is at 65 psi
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok so exhaust should be free flowingno problem,it runs at idle fine but looses power under a load while driving . Is this a SOHC engine and did you put in a used engine? and No oter codes are stored now, it passes a key onengine off and key on engine running test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
runs very smooth at idle. I do notice a slight hesitation when I press the gas while it's not in gear but it revs smooth while in park a neutral. And it's a 4.0 ohv engine. Yes it passes the KOER AND KOEO test
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok good. Long as fuel pressure is solid it could be due to an engine misfire, clogged fuel injector, something of that nature. Long as there are no transmission issues. An injector flow test should be done and take a look at mode 6 data if you can with a scan tool, this will tell you if you have a small misfire that isnt strong enough to trip a check engine light diagnostic code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will see if I can look at the injectors tomorrow with my scan tool
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Very good. only other thing would be an issue with the crank psoition sensor if its loosing signal, or dirty mass air flow sensor. but that should either trip a code or show an out of range sensor when the concern occurs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mass air flow sensor is brand new. Could it be an issue with the torque converter locking up?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Its possible but it would tend to stall the engine and should set a code if its slipping or locked up when it shouldnt be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try to take it for a longer drive tomorrow and see if I can get a code out of it
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Very good. let me know what you find.