Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

1997 f150 xlt 4.6 4x4 3 door When motor gets warm it bogs on

Customer Question

1997 f150 xlt 4.6 4x4 3 door
When motor gets warm it bogs on excelleration starting from idle
Also seems to miss at hard excelleration when going into passing gear
Have new coils ,new wires ,plugs, fuel pressure regulator, air injection kit and fuel injectors . Gives 2 codes 171 and 174 lean
in bank 1 and 2 . Does have a hole in fuel filler pipe.
Other than that it idles smooth and strong
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

HI there,

These codes on both banks is usually an issue with the mass air flow sensor. Based on your description either the maf is the problem or there is possibly a fuel pressure issue. You might be able to unplug the maf sensor and drive the truck to see if it performs better. If it does, then replace the maf sensor. This test doesn't work on all vehicles, but it's worth a try prior to purchasing a new one, but based on your description I find it to be the most likely culprit.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!