camerontech
camerontech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

I have a 2004 F150 bit manufactured in Oct 2013. 8 cyl with

Customer Question

I have a 2004 F150 bit manufactured in Oct 2013 . 8 cyl with a 4.6. At idle my truck runs great and idles at 700 rpm . When I get around 50 to 55 mph and ease off gas that it's idling around1200 to 1600 rpm when I accelerate again it gets sluggish like it's running out of fuel but the rpm stay steady . I have changed fuel filter and thought originally that was problem . I'm thinking somethings going on in between shifts now . Any ideas
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, I need the 17 digit vin number. You state it is a 2004 manufactured in Oct 2013. So is it a 2014 built in Oct 2013, or a 2004 built in Oct 2003.

Also, is the check engine light on and if so, what are the fault codes. If the light is on and you have not had the computer scanned for fault codes, then we need to do this first

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was built in October 2003 . I had a typo but it was titled as a 2004 . No check engine lights on. Vin2FTRF17W04CA15652
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I have had a family emergency to deal with and need to opt out and let another expert help you as I am not sure when I will be able to get back to you

Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

hi there, im cam

can you check 2 things for me.

1. The air filter, IF you have the bullet style air filter, i have seen these break and seperate and give the mass airflow sensor bad readings. when you inspect it, the nose cone will be seperating from the paper element.

2. FPDM (fuel pump driver module) this is what I am thinking the problem is.

There is a fuel pump driver module that controls the voltage to the fuel pump depending on engine load.

I have done so many of these, You can do a visual inspection. IT is located underneat the rear of the vehicle and bolted to the body around the spare tire area. They will corrode badly and you will actually see the body of it splitting from the rot and corrosion. IF you see this than replace the module. If it looks ok, than you will have to test it with a scan tool and fuel pressure

This is how you test the module:

1. Access the fuel pump connector.

2. First, verify that there is good battery voltage on the Pink/Black (PK/BK) wire from the Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM). If OK, monitor voltage between the PK/BK and Brown/White (BN/WH) wires leaving the fuel pump connected. Also monitor the fuel pressure.

3. Voltage will normally be about 6-8 V at idle and will increase with load on the engine.

4. When the problem is occurring, check the fuel pressure vs. voltage to the fuel pump. If pressure is dropping, but voltage is the same or increasing, check the connections right at the fuel pump. If OK, drop the fuel tank, inspect the lines internally and replace the fuel pump as needed. If fuel pressure is dropping and the voltage to the pump is dropping, check the fuel pump monitor wire LB/OG to pin 30 of C175b and the fuel pump Command wire WH/YE to pin 62 of C175b for harness concerns, and if OK, suspect a failed FPDM.

I hope this info helps you,

If i can be of any more assistance than let me know!

I appreciate positive reviews!

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will be a few days before I can check. I will get back with you soon. Please don't close vonversation

no problem,

i wont

cam

hi there,

just wondering how you made out!?

please dont forget to rate me!

thanks again

cam