HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

1988 ford bronco fuel gauge. Read full while. When less then

Customer Question

1988 ford bronco fuel gauge. Read full for a while. When less then 3/4 full the gauge swings from empty to full. Full to empty
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, does the gauge bounce up and down from full to empty or vice versa? Or i is mostly full and it drops down to empty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When tank is full , gauge stays at full until the gas in the tank is about 3/4 full.
That is when the gauge swings inconsistently.
Gauge might be at 3/4 or 1/2 or 1/4 when engine first started.
No consistency at all.My daughter just informed me that the gauge does not do anything anymore.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok most common thing we see on these older style fuel senders is the orignal sender is a metal barrel that hangs on the sender arm in the fuel tank. Over time the hanger wears into the hollow metal float barrel and fuel leaks into the sender float and will make it sink. You can unplug the fuel pump connector and ground the sender wire and it should read full. and disconnected empty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it does not read full when grounded and read empty when disconnected?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

If it doesnt read full when you ground the sender wire you have an open circuit between the fuel sender connector and the instrument cluster or gauge issue. If it reads full the sender should be working properly, if it pulsed up and down it would be an issue with the instrument cluster voltage regulator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What wire is the sending unit wire in the fuel pump harness?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Daughter just told me gauge is always on full.
Never moves from full.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok the wire from the fuel pump should be yellow for the gauge. If its always reading full the wire or sender is shorted. disconnect the fuel pump 4 pin connector it should drop to empty. if it does the sender cricuit has a short to ground possibly the sender.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

With the pump removed you can move the float up and down and it should sweep. the gauge

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the best fuel pump / sender to replace with the faulty one with? I have heard that after market fuel pumps and senders only last a few years or less.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Napa offers a good line of fuel pumps at a decent price. Just need to make sure they come complete with a new sender, some do not