Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1989 Ford F150 2wd 300 manual trans. I have had

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1989 Ford F150 2wd 300 manual trans. I have had starting issues for years. The problem has evolved a bit over the years. initially It would start fine when cold but once it runs for awhile if it should stall it wouldn't start again until it
cooled down. I have replaced all of the pos and neg cables as well as the starter, battery and solenoid. This seemed to fix the problem. Then it wouldn't start by the key. I had to jump the solenoid to get it to start. The last time I did this it started and
it sounded like the starter was still engaged. I quickly unhooked the pos cable. Now it will not start by the key and will start by jumping the solenoid but will not run! Help!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

You are going to need to trace the starter circuit from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid while taking a close look at the ignition switch for any signs of separating which was common on the 1989. I have enclosed the wiring diagram in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open the link. The starter signal come out of the switch on the red/blue wire.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Starter%20Nov%206.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ron. I will check it out this weekend and get back with you!
Scott
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay, start at the ignition switch and follow the red/blue wire out, be sure to take a close look as well at the ignition switch to make sure its not coming apart as well. Im here if you need me.