HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 2003 ford explorer xlt 4.0l sohc. I changed the

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** have a 2003 ford explorer xlt 4.0l sohc. I changed the engine about 5000 miles ago. After I changed the engine the a/c would not engage. My wife was driving one day and the vehicle shut down on her and start circuit would not engage. Battery checked good and dash lights come on. Don't know if I have a bad ground or bad pcm. I have check the 50amp fuse in the bjb box and it is ok. I then checked the fuse 29 in the cjb and it checked good while in cranking position. I then moved relays around in the bjb box and that did not help. pulled starter relay in bjb and checked pin 85, battery voltage. Checked pin 30 and has battery voltage. Jumped pin 30 to pin 87 starter does crank engine does not start. I hooked analyzer to the data link connector and it comes up with communication error. The dash lights have ------ on the odometer and temp readings. Do I have a bad ground somewhere or pcm?? Thanks!
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, does the check engine light come on in the dash when the key is turned to on? The eec power relay sends power to the pcm and turns the check engine light on in th key onposition to verify the pcm is being energized.When you are jumping the starter relay is the key on so the pcm can start the engine? Is the red theft lamp blinking fast when the key is turned to on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have a service engine soon light is that the same thing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red light is blinking but not a rapid blink
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is the light for the engine that should come one when the key is turned to on since you are having an issue with pcm communication and pin 16 on the data link connector should have power for the scan tool. lower right corner last pin terminal

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

With the key out of the ignition the light will blink on/of.when the key is turned to on it should stay on steady for a few seconds and go off.if its blinking with the key in the on position it has a PATS antitheft issue, but it wont cause the car to stall.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.11
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

whats 12.11??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery voltage at the pin 16
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok. so the service engine soon light comes on when the key is turned to on? Does the theft lamp work as it should and you have no communcation to the pcm with a scantool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the service engine light comes on when key is on. The anti thief light flashes red all the time whether key is off or on. No communication to pcm through dlc and ----- on odometer when key is on.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, most likely you have a failed instrument cluster which is the module for the PATS system. You can try banging on the dash and see if the odometer display works or not. The Cluster is a programmable module and when replacing must be reprogrammed to the truck and you will need 2 ignition keys to reprogram to the instrument cluster. A local locksmith may be able to do the job for you on your site. if not it will have to go to a dealer to do the instrument cluster repair and repgoram 2 keys, if you have one key you must have two to program the truck to start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The failed module is on the backside of instrument cluster?? I have only one key. So the dealer has to reprogram??
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

The instrument cluster itself is the module, the whole cluster would need replacment. You have to have two keys to reprogram the pats system, the cluster is called the HEC module for the PATS system. Check with your local locksmith if they can program pats keys and insturment clusters.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?