HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 2010 Transit Connect with 128k on it. last 2-3

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Transit Connect with 128k on it. For the last 2-3 months, the doors won't lock about 3/4 of the time. Sometimes they lock, and then 2 minutes down the road they unlock. We slam doors until they finally lock, but it's not consistent for any one door. What am I missing?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, can you share the 17 digit VIN number so I can check for any concerns related to the production of your vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NM0LS6BNXAT033748
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, nothing comes up as far as a technical service bullletin, you say this is doesnt happen all the time, it so doesnt affect all the doors, just some of them or it picks and chooses which ones lock at times and unlocks? have you recently done any interior work to the vehicle, add on any aftermarket equipment like a radio or replace the battery then have this problem show up?Do the autolocks work where you have the doors unlocked and the doors lock automatically when ut in gear and start driving or try disabling this function?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the doors lock electronically as one. The back door unlocks with key or fob only. It's getting more and more common that when I lock the door, there is a about a 2 second delay and then they unlock. Sometimes they will lock as we drive off, then 2 or 3 minutes down the road they unlock. We can stop, and slam all the doors once or twice, sometimes 5 times, and they will lock and stay locked. Sometimes I just have to turn the interior light off and drive with the doors not locked.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok do you happen to have any aftermarket accesories installed, an aftermarket alarm perhaps? It will unlock all the doors but the read doors wont operate except with the key fob and they lock and unlock with the key fob or key or only one or the other?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no aftermarket anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rear door will only unlock with key or fob, but it locks when the rest of the doors lock. It's been that way since new.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok the GEM (Body Control Module) controls the operation of the door locks. A diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool would need to be done to see if any codes are stored in the GEM module first. If no codes are stored. Would have to run through a diagnostic by symptom based on the concern . Being a transit, if its used for commerical use. it wouldnt be a surprise if someone bolted in an interior panel and cut of shorted a wire. Only other thing to do would be to wiggle the wiring harness to the doors while toggling the switches to see if they work properly if you wiggle the door loom harness, indiacting a broken wire inside the loom which is possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is 70% down the interstate personal travel, and around town shopping. Nothing bolted to the walls. I'll ask around and see what or how much it would cost to check for codes. I'm not seeing any contacts to say a door is closed or not. When the doors unlock, the interior lights come on. We start banging doors until the lights go off. It is not the same door every time. All the door switches couldn't go out at the same time. I'll check the codes and see what information I can gleen.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Very goo, yes when having a code check have them look at the live data to indicate whether a door ajar switch is reading open when its closed. that could be part of the concern since you bang on the door and it starts working and you can try sprayig wd40 into the door latches to cleanup contacts in the latches