rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Vehicle: 2004 Ford Ranger 2.3L manual tranny. I have

Customer Question

Vehicle: 2004 Ford Ranger 2.3L manual tranny.
I have replaced the rear main seal twice on this vehicle. The second one was leaking at the corners. I installed a new Fel Pro gasket this morning and left the clutch and transmission off so that I could watch and see if the new seal leaked again. Alas, it's leaking again from the corners. I used silicon on the last one at the corners but that didn't help.
Any suggestions?
Steve
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Check for excessive wear on the crank and also consider the seal from the dealer. I've seen some real weird things like this.

Thanks, Ron