AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

My 2005 F250 has a thunk sound at the front right every time

Customer Question

hi, my 2005 F250 has a thunk sound at the front right every time I pull off from a stop. it happens at about 1 truck length and then again at about at about 4 or 5 truck lengths... just a hollow thunk or maybe thud describes it better. I don't think I hear it any other times....
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Is your truck a 4x4?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.*****diesel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!

Ok. being*****eliminates a lot of possibilities. Have you already raised each wheel off the ground and tried shaking them front to back and side to side? I am thinking it's probably a ball joint. I will give you a ball joint inspection procedure. Check them out and let me know what you come up with.

You said that you do not notice it while going over curbs, etc, right?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/askw0i5qmsyxymt/ball%20joint.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol. That diesel is so loud it is hard to hear much... We will go through the ball joint test and let you know. Maybe pop a few curbs and see what we hear too... Thank you! Have a good evening. Anne

Sounds good to me. Let me know what you come up with. If it's not the ball joints, we will look into the sway bar bushings and links. I'll get you the repair procedure to fix what ever it ends up being. Keep in touch. Thanks!

.