Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2012 F250 Super Duty Gas Engine Pickup w/15000 mi.

Customer Question

I have a 2012 F250 Super Duty Gas Engine Pickup w/15000 mi. It sat in garage for 12 days. Went to start it and nothing worked. I charged up battery and still nothing. Loosened battery connections and retightened. They were clean. Checked fuse panel under hood, found nothing blown as far as visual fuses. Panel under dash on right side was checked, fuse 28 for ignition was ok. The emergency flashers will not even work. Headlights and courtesy lights do not work, either.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'd be happy to help! First, I see you said you charged the battery, do you have something to test it with, to check for the cranking amps and check what the voltage is? It may sound dumb to ask, but the customers on this site vary in knowledge and experience, I always have to ask the basic things first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a farmer with lots of experience in mechanics but this one baffles me. I put jumpers to another vehicle battery (new) and still nothing. Not even lights, etc.No cab lights. Only thing that works is the indicator light for the auxillary trailer brake control but it is hard wired to aux. circuit (by dealer).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Horn works, too. Gear shift will not move from park position even with brake depressed,so there must be an electrical interlock that is not working. I can turn the steering wheel
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Ok so the horn does work? I'm sorry I'm having trouble with internet so it's hard to get a response in. Did you check the fuses in the high current fuse box? There's a few 100+ fuses in there that could cause a shutdown like this. Also, if I can get the Internet to act right I'll know more, but there's a battery saver relay in the BCM, but I have to see if it's serviceable or integral to the bcm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did check the fuses in the high current box under the hood on the left side of the engine compartment. The knife fuses were all ok and the square fuses that have viewable windows were ok, too. According to my owner's manual, I do not think there are any 100 or larger fuses. There are some relays and or circuit breakers.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for just now getting back to you, that was according to the power distribution wiring diagrams I was looking at earlier. I'll check again in the morning, I plan on getting to work early so I'll have time to answer some more questions and not be rushed, I will get in touch with you again in the morning and I should have had more time to study that diagram by then. Do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do. I am somewhat limited right now as to mobility as I had my ankle replaced 10 days ago but get around on a rollabout knee walker. I can manage.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Oh boy I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you heal quickly. I know you said the horn did work, is there anything else other than the aux brake control that works? Even the smallest thing so that way I can try to find something shared in those circuits.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Here is the wiring diagram with that high current fuse box I was talking about.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cigarette lighter/power receptacle is live, too.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Ok I've been studying that diagram, everything, including the cig lighter is run through the junction box under the hood, with the exception of the horn being run by the bcm, but the bcm receives it's power from that box as well. I would pull the box up and check for wire damage, check the condition of the ground it uses which is listed here left rear engine compartment so it should be close to the box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a BCM? The horn fuse is located in the passenger side wall fuse panel. I checked the power coming to the power distribution box under the hood on the left side of the engine compartment. It was 12 volts. I also checked a pin in one of the empty fuse wells. It had power, too. Next time I get out to garage, I will check power to interior fuse panel in passenger right compartment, although I imagine it will be ok since horn works.The truck body has ground. I will try and get under fuse bank in engine compartment to check for broken wires. This truck is almost pristine as it has only 15,000 miles on it.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, the BCM is the body control module, it is what controls a lot of accessory components among other things but they vary by vehicle. In your case the bcm also serves as a fuse panel, which is the one you're checking in the cab. It supplies the power for the horn circuit, so it stands to reason it should have 12 volts. The wire coming to the engine compartment fuse box comes from the 200 amp main fuse on another panel, but because that box supplies power to the BCM and the cigar lighter, we know that the wire coming in should have power as well. The grounds I'm talking about are coming out of the bottom of the engine compartment fuse box. With it being this new with such low miles on it I'm beginning to think you may have something like pest damage somewhere, field mice will get into peculiar places and chew wires. They're all separate circuits until they reach the box, but some things powered by that box still work. It's hard to say without being there but that's what it's beginning to sound like.