Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2010 E450, 5.4l. The engine has a hard starting

Customer Question

I have a 2010 E450, 5.4l.
The engine has a hard starting issue as the weather gets colder. The engine cranks and cranks for 5 plus seconds, while you have to pump the gas for it to start. Once it gets started you can shut it off and it will start again no problem. This only happens in the winter time after sitting basically overnight. Summer time the truck can sit off for a whole weekend and it still starts up perfectly on Monday.
We changed the fuel pump last year aleady.
Any suggestions??
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Do you have access to a scan tool? If so, can you check the temperature of the engine coolant when the engine is cold and see what that temperature is?

Can you also check for any stored codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0172.I havnt gotten the shop to check the coolant temp but below a 4C coolant temp, it starts hard starting. That is only if the truck has been sitting for at least 4-5 hours or more.The colder the night temp, the longer it has to turn over, and the more you have to pump the gas.Today we are changing the plugs as the gap is a bit big. But I doubt that will help much as the gap doesnt seem temperature related.(truck starts fine at mild to warm atmospheric temps.

Ok. That is a system rich code. Lets focus on that. Clean your MAF sensor and make sure your throttle plate is clean, air filter is clean, and no obstructions anywhere in your air intake system. Let me know what you find any issues with any of the above items and we will go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the truck will be back in the shop next week, and I will get them to do that and get back to you.

sounds good. Thanks