Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 1999 ford escort idles low when at a stop then rev's up I

Customer Question

my 1999 ford escort idles low when at a stop then rev's up I was thinking of replacing the control module relay..would this work or be the cause?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The relay that controls the control module is not the cause of the problem you are having, In most cases the type of idle concern you are having is usually caused by either a dirty and sticking IAC (idle air control ) valve or a bad TP (throttle position sensor) located on the throttle body. I would start with taking some carb cleaner and removing the IAC from the throttle body and giving is a good cleaning, while doing so, also give the throttle body a good cleaning with a soft cloth and the same carb cleaner. In most cases this will resolve the idle problem you are having. Give this a shot and post back if need be and we can work from there. If you need the IAC removal steps let me know and I will send them. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.