Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1987 ford ranger xlt 2.9 the problem is every time

Customer Question

I have a 1987 ford ranger xlt 2.9 the problem is every time i start it up it runs good for about the first 2. Mins. Then it runs really really rough for about 5-10 seconds,some times it even shut off,but after it goes through that rough path it runs like a new trk.But it happens every time i cut it off and start it back up 9 out of 10 times.if i cut it off , go into the store for 5 minutes start it up about 2 minutes later i hit that rough patch for about 5-10 seonds. After that it runs great, until the next time i cut it off!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, is the check engine light on and have you had a diagnostic run for codes even with the check engine light off? When it shuts down does it fire right back up?