HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 2004 ford F450 6.0. Replace all 8 injectors, now

Customer Question

I have a 2004 ford F450 6.0. Replace all 8 injectors, now getting a P0272 for cylinder #4. Did not have prior to injector replacement. Also have a no start issue, have to plug the block heater up for 2 hours before it will start
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok first for the heating part, since the glow plugs were changed was the relay changed as well or no codes for the system, it appears to light up and work properly?Was the reason the truck was down prior due to a head gasket failure? All connections to the FICM are good and you have good voltage coming out of the FICM?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The previous owner had tore the truck down to head stud the vehicle, did have combustion gases getting in to the cooling system, according to the previous owner. Replaced the glow plugs and harnesses because their were codes coming active for them when I tried to crank the vehicle. Can perform a KOER for the glow plugs and it passes. The light times out after 20 seconds like I believe it should. Connections to the FICM are good, can perform a injector buzz test and have 48 volts coming from the FICM when checking with software and a laptop. ICP pressure shows at 989 to 994 when cranking and when I do get I to crank at idle. Did not have the P0272 until I changed the injectors, they are new ford injectors. Have had the issue of having to plug up the block heater since it has been put back together, I live in Florida and it is 80 out today and has been the past week I have been working on the truck, has to be plugged up for at least 2 hours to crank, spins about 6 times and fires off. Thought I might have a compression issue, performed test once engine reached operating temp with a compression gauge all cylinders were between 420 and 434. Even performed fuel pressure test with a gauge everything seems fine there, also has a new fuel pump from ford. It has got me pulling my hair out, have never ran in to this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also once truck has started, it will restart every time. If I leave it setting over night will not start again until put on the block heater. Does run as if it is skipping
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

ok im with ya, I just moved from Florida after living there for 20 years to Lake Havasu Arizona. I feel your humidty! Ok is P2285 still present. The engine cranks over slowly at times or at normal speeds and just wont fire. Make sure the glow plugs are actually lighting up with a test light even though its passing, being you just replaced all 8 injectors it is possible you have a defective one, you can rotate to the next cylinder which is a lot of work or just get another one as a parts warranty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine spins fine, The P2285 is still active, from what I have read, it is reference voltage back to the PCM, I have 5 volts coming to the ICP sensor. I checked the glow plugs, with a power probe and have 14 volts going to them. That is what has me stumped so much. My son's 06 had codes for the glow plugs for a long while before I replaced them and I did not have the issue of not starting. Just don't understand why I have to plug the block heater in for 2 hours to get this one to start. It will start to smoke when trying to crank if the block heater is not plugged up, can smell fuel smell from the exhaust.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok im thinking the injector is defective you are getting smoke so you are getting fuel..Whats the engine coolant temperature sensor reading and does the map sensor check ok sensor is bias with ebp psi readings.Sounds like the glow plugs arent glowing enough. you said fuel pressure is holding, ipr at approx 85%?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MAP is showing 14.25 PSI, EBP 1.75V, 17.5 PSI coolant temp is 187.2 at idle, IPR is 32.81 at idle ICP is 897 at idle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MAP 1.27V
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Also check Intake air temp all 3 sensors IAT,MAP,EBP should be the same or it is a bad sensor psi readings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can check my IAT it is 92F do not see a setting on my software to check for MAP and EBP temps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seen a selection for Air Intake temp sensor 2 it is at 143.5 main air temp is at 96
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The IPR valve and the high pressure pump are also brand new Ford OE parts
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok there are 3 sensors that measure psi map, ebp and i forget the third at the moment im looking it up now but all 3 should have the same reading

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

The ebp sensor is high try unplugging it and see if it affects anything or you could have an exhaust restirction issue with the turbocharger

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Baro, EBP & MAP should read the same psi around atmosphere 14.5 psi with the key on engine off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of them key on engine not running are similar. Baro 14.46 EBP 14.9 and MAP 14.25
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok good.The P2285 is your main concern,. it says the ICP pressure is low, and with a reading of zero is what to find out.Since the sensor is new and asusming has a good connnection with the engine being rebuilt you either have an issue with low system base engine oil pressure, a leak in the injector oil system which would require air testing or problem with the new high pressure oil pump not converting the base pressure to high pressure. Start with base engine oil pressure for the low system

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ICP sensor is reading pressure at 997 cranking, I thought the P2282 was a fault code for voltage reference back to the PCM? The I have aired the system up with a fitting through the ICP fitting in the valve cover, commanding the IPR valve closed and have no leaks in the high pressure oil system. Have checked low pressure oil with a manual gauge and it builds to 40 PSI almost instantly.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Oh I thought you said was P2285 in your last response

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

I see no code definitaion for a P2282 in the ford PCED manual

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry miss type. It is P2285. When I run the trouble tree for the code, it references test voltage at the connector, looping pin C and pin B with a 5 amp fused jumper wire and check to see if you have a 4.5 to 5.5 volt reference. If yes replace ICP sensor no replace PCM. I do not have a wire small enough to loop them. Do you have any suggestions on what I can use to loop them?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Use a paper clip without the fuse just dont contact any metal with the clip to blow a fuse

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would that code cause a cold no start? To where I have to plug up the block heater?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

With that code it should not allow the vehicle to start you are looking at the same pinpoint test Q for this code? You said you had vref at the sensor did the circuit ohm out ok between the pcm and icp, it should if you have a 900 psi reading on the sensor.It may be leading towards a bad pcm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I tie the 2 pins together with a paper clip I do not have 4.5 to 5.5 volts. From what I have read, that would mean to replace the PCM correct? Just don't want to guess on a expensive part and it not correct the cold start issue
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Yes im reading the same pinpoint test that you are, it appears to be a pcm issue if you dont read voltage when jumping the two pins at the IPC